Residency Policies & Procedures
V. CLINICAL ROTATIONS
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES FOR RESEARCH ROTATIONS
Goal: The goal of the neuroradiology rotation is to provide a supervised experience and to gain procedural competency in ECT and TMS.
completing the Brain Stimulation rotation, the resident is expected to be able to:
1. Patient Care
- Understand the clinical indications and preparation for ECT, TMS, VNS, DBS and be able to comfortably communicate these to patients and their providers.
- Gain competency in treatment planning for ECT and TMS patients.
- Perform basic outpatient brain stimulation consultation.
- Display basic knowledge of the basis and mechanism of neuromodulation treatments, their risks, and clinical uses.
- Display basic knowledge in how to run an ECT clinic, procedural set-up, evidence-based procedural technique and managing side effects related to ECT.
3. Practice-Based Learning and Improvement
- Locate and critically appraise relevant scientific literature.
- Use conferences, supervision, readings, and reference materials to improve his/her knowledge of neuromodulation therapies.
4. Interpersonal and Communication Skills
- Establish rapport with patients and engage them in the evaluation and treatment process.
- Provide an explanatory model for their symptoms that facilitates their acceptance of brain stimulation treatments.
- Communicate effectively with primary providers, patients and families to help them to understand psychiatric conditions in their patients and brain stimulation treatment.
- Demonstrate respect for others.
- Demonstrate integrity, accountability, responsible and ethical behavior.
- Demonstrate a commitment to excellence.
6. Systems-Based Practice
- Understand issues of cost-effectiveness in the use of brain stimulation in the overall context of patient care.
7. Educational Attitudes
- Display openness to supervision; accept constructive criticism.
- Seek direction when appropriate; demonstrate eagerness to learn.
©1998 - 2015, Psychiatry Residency Training Program.
All rights reserved.
Psychiatry Residency Training Program
1959 NE Pacific Street, Box 356560
Seattle, WA 98195-6560