Residency Policies & Procedures
X. GENERAL PROGRAM POLICIES
RESIDENT REPORTING OF CRITICAL INCIDENTS
- Residents are to report ALL incidents of violence or threats of violence
directed towards them from patients, no matter how trivial, as
well as ALL suicides or serious suicide attempts by patients. These
critical incidents should be reported to the Chief Resident within 24
hours, in person or by voice mail. In addition, all such events should
be reported to the responsible attending immediately.
- The Chief Resident will inform the Assistant Training Director for
the site and the Training Director
- The Assistant Training Director will speak with the resident (for
minor instances this may be delegated to the Chief Resident) and will
be responsible for seeing that adequate psychological support and supervision
- Residents will be oriented to the reporting policy upon entering the
program and reminded at regular intervals to report critical incidents.
- The Residency Training Office will maintain statistics and report
them regularly to the resident group. The Training Office will also
identify any patterns involved in these incidents so that these can
(Approved by the RESC on August 8, 2001 and by the
Chair on September 14, 2001.)
©1998 - 2013, Psychiatry Residency Training Program.
All rights reserved.
Psychiatry Residency Training Program
1959 NE Pacific Street, Box 356560
Seattle, WA 98195-6560