Residency Policies & Procedures
X. GENERAL PROGRAM POLICIES
RESIDENT VACATION POLICY
- All Residents receive 21 days of vacation per year consisting of
15 weekdays, and 6 weekend/holiday days (non-cumulative).
- When a Resident is on vacation for both the day preceding, and the
day following a holiday, the holiday will be counted as a vacation day.
- When a Resident takes an entire Monday-Friday vacation, the Sunday
preceding and the Saturday following will be counted as vacation days.
- Detailed vacation policies can be found on the Resident
Position Appointment (page 10).
- All vacations will be scheduled with the approval of the head of
the clinical rotation, and subject to University and Department regulations.
- On inpatient and consultation-liaison services, resident vacations
may not overlap for Residents on one service. Residents may not
take vacation during prolonged absence of their Attendings. Vacations
need to be arranged in advance with the Attending (to rule out Attending
absence), the Chief Resident (to rule out overlap), and the Psychiatry
Residency Program office.
- No vacation is to be taken when one is on the one-month Psychiatric Emergency Service rotation; no vacation is to be taken in the last week of
June or the first week of July.
- No more than one week vacation can be taken on a one-month rotation,
and no more than two weeks on a three month rotation. For two
month rotations: the Resident who wishes to take more than one
week (and up to two weeks) needs to obtain special approval of the Attending.
- The Residency office needs to be notified once the leave is approved via MedHub 30 days in advance of planned time off and of the exact
dates of the vacation.
- Disagreements between Residents and Attendings or between Residents
of the same service regarding vacation plans should be referred first
to the Chief Resident and the Associate Residency Director and then
if an agreement cannot be reached, to the Residency Training Director
(Adopted by the RESC on 12/2/1985; modified 5/21/2008; modified 5/12/2016.)
RESIDENT EDUCATIONAL LEAVE POLICY
- Educational leave is granted at the discretion of the Program Director.
- Residents are allotted one week per year, but occasionally more if
there is a compelling reason.
- Educational leave must be used for conferences, presentations, residency
retreat, and exams.
- Once approved by your clinical supervisors, education leave request must be entered into MedHub 30 days in advance of the leave.
©1998 - 2017, Psychiatry Residency Training Program.
All rights reserved.
Psychiatry Residency Training Program
1959 NE Pacific Street, Box 356560
Seattle, WA 98195-6560